Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bobby Flay's Throwdown: Adobo-Seasoned Chicken and Rice



...or as I like to call it, arroz con pollo.

I adore Bobby Flay. I will eat anything he makes/suggests/writes about. I have been faithfully watching Throwdown! for many years now and it is still hard to watch without salivating. I think I must have seen every single episode at this point---including the one where he wins the biscuit throwdown against the Loveless Cafe in Nashville, TN. The Loveless is the only restaurant featured on Throwdown! that I've even been to, and I have to say that those biscuits are made of butter and crack. I think I might have also had fried chicken there, but I don't remember---those biscuits steal away any other memory of that meal. I know this is off topic, but I have been hoarding a bag of that biscuit mix in my pantry for maybe a year now, and I think today might be the day to make those damned biscuits. Anyway, I digress. The biscuit episode also cemented in my mind the greatness of Bobby Flay. If he can win against those biscuits, then he can also probably cure cancer.

Since it's still cold here, I am still yearning for nice hot dishes that warm you up from the inside. I've only actually had arroz con pollo once when my neighbor made it for me (it was delicious), and since then, I have been itching to make it myself. For some reason, we never eat chicken on the bone in our house, and I'm not sure why. It has a totally different, savory sweet taste that cannot be compared to the crappy boneless skinless breasts that seem to be the cornerstone of our eating life in this house. Plus, there are few things tastier than crisp and salty skin. Mmm. Anyway, this recipe was relatively easy, but wow, it makes A LOT of arroz. SO MUCH RICE! I may make this again, but maybe with two---NOT THREE---cups of rice. Also, don't get freaked out by the ingredients list. This was easy and probably only took me a half and hour. PS, he lost this throwdown, but I thought this was still really good.

Bobby Flay's Adobo-Seasoned Chicken and Rice
Serves 4
Adobo Seasoning
1 tbsp kosher salt
2 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika (ha, I used my hungarian stuff)
2 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 tsp ground tumeric
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano (I used dried)
Yeah, so I made a special purchase of the garlic and onion only to realize when I came home that I ALREADY HAD a little bottle of Adobo Seasoning from Penzey's. I find it infuriating to buy spices or herbs anywhere else BUT Penzey's, as the crap in the grocery store is so expensive and, well, crap. Anyway, I mixed this all up, and since I only made two drumsticks and two thighs, I have more than enough for next time.

Chicken and Rice
4 bone-in, skin-on thighs
4 bone-in, skin-on breasts
Kosher salt and ground pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, chopped (I used a regular white one)
2 medium red bell betters, finely diced (I used one)
1 serrano pepper, finely diced (I used two. I make my own rules when it comes to chiles)
4 cloves of garlic, chopped (or, in my case, pressed)
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 cups long grain rice
5 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock (sorry, Bobby, I was working all day, so I made due with the stuff in the box)
1 bay leaf
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup pitted picholine olives (I added these, but I'm not sure I would next time)
3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
Grated zest and juice of one fresh lime

1) Mix all the spices at the top. Season the chicken with pepper and salt, then rub the mix on the chicken parts.
2) Heat your oven to 375.
3) In a dutch oven, heat enough oil to fry the chicken, skin side down. You are basically going to get these parts nice and brown. After you do that, throw them in a baking vessel and put it in the oven for about 12 minutes.
4) Remove all the oil except for about 2tbs. Put heat on high. Add the onion, bell peppers and serrano pepper until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and the garlic and cook for one minute.
5) Add the rice to the pan and coat in the mixture. Cook for one minute. Add the chicken stock and the bay leaf, season with salt and pepper. Cook for five minutes uncovered. Reduce heat to medium and cook until stock is absorbed and rice is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. During the last few minutes, stir in peas, cover, and continue cooking.
6) Remove pan from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes, covered. Then remove the lid, fluff the rice, and gently fold in the olives, cilantro, oregano, lime zest, and juice. Add the chicken and stir to combine.

1 comment:

  1. Boneless skinless chicken breasts? Oh, Anne. You are really missing out!

    ReplyDelete