Sunday, February 13, 2011

Jamie's Dinners: Tagliatelle with Spinach, Marscarpone and Parmesan


I know, it's been ages since I've posted. I never do well with February, generally speaking. I just want to hole up and not speak to anyone until it's over. I want to watch bad tv and change into my pjs as soon as I come home from work. Worse yet, all I want to eat is noodles and cheese. Or not cook at all, which pretty much sums up the last few weeks. Also, I'm not sure how this happened, but we have not been to the grocery store since the middle of January. Keep your fingers crossed that I make it to March!

In anticipation of our trip yesterday, I busted out Jamie's Dinners and Bobby Flay's Throwdown so I could stock up on some ingredients. Paging through Jaime's Dinners, Tagliatelle with Spinach, Marscarpone and Parmesan caught my eye. It was delicious! Next time I might add some sauteed mushrooms and possibly some chicken.

Tagliatelle with Spinach, Marscarpone and Parmesan
Serves 4---or two with a bit extra if you only had breakfast that day. I don't judge!

1 lb tagliatte or spaghetti (I bought some fresh pasta at the store---makes a huge difference)
olive oil
2 teaspoons of butter
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced (I pressed mine)
1/2 a nutmeg, freshly grated
14 oz fresh spinach, washed and sliced (yeah---I just washed it)
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
5 oz marscarpone cheese
2 handfuls freshly grated parmesan

Jamie says:
Bring a large pan of salted water to boil, add the pasta, and cook according to instructions. Meanwhile, get a frying pan or wok warm, add a drizzle of olive oil, the butter, the garlic, and the nutmeg. When the butter melts, add the spinach. after five minutes, it will have wilted down and be nice and dark. A lot of the liquid will have cooked away and you'll have a wonderful intensely flavored spinach. At the point season with salt and petter until it tastes good, then, add the cream, marscarpone and a little ladle of the cooking water from the pasta. Let this come to a simmer then season again.

Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking water, then stir it into the spinach sauce. Add the parmesan and toss everything together. Loosen to a nice silky consistency with some of the reserved cooking water, so it doesn't become too dry. Check once more for seasoning and serve straight away.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! We are eating vegetarian this month, so I may have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds artery-cloggingly delicious.

    ReplyDelete