Monday, January 3, 2011

Anne's Recipe Library


Since I know you're dying to know what cookbooks I have that I never use, here's a current picture of my library. Scroll down for notes on each.

Ultimate Bread Cookbook
I went through a big bread phase about 8 years ago. Currently, I use this maybe once a year, and it was the very first cookbook I ever purchased.

How To Be A Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson
Truthfully? I never used it.

Mexico, One Plate at a Time by Rick Bayless
I'm really looking forward to using this one, now that I have stocked up on a ton of Mexican ingredients. Needless to say, it's very hard to find good Mexican ingredients in the Berkshires.

Breakfast, Lunch, Tea: The Many Little Meals of the Rose Bakery by Rose Carranini
This was a great gift from a student with a ton of really amazing recipes for baked goods---also really looking forward to working with this book.

Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics by Ina Garten, aka The Barefoot Contessa, aka, my hero
I love, love, love me some Barefoot Contessa. I want to live in her house. I want Jeffrey to be my dad. But I've never used this cookbook :(

Barefoot Contessa: Family Style by Ina Garten
Yep. Nothing.

Jamie's Dinners by Jamie Oliver
I HAVE used this one....twice. I love the mint and pea carbonara recipe!

Cupcakes by Martha Stewart
I've been all over this one. No one does baked good like Martha.

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison
I've used this a few times since we got a farm share last summer, and I love her recipe for cardamon shortbread.

Everyday Italian by Giada de Laurentiis
I've thought about it, but never used it.

The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten
I didn't remember I owned this!

The Barefoot Contessa at Home by Ina Garten
Now this one I have really used extensively, and her lemon chicken piccata is a relative staple in our rotating menu. Also good---her jalapeno cheddar cornbread. And her coconut cake. And her black bean guacamole. And the recipe for lemon cream pasta with arugula and cherry tomatoes. This is the first Contessa book I got, and I totally love it.

Cupcakes! by Elinor Clivans
This was a gift. Not as good as the Martha book.

All Cakes Considered by Melissa Gray
I really, really like this book. I've made a few of the cakes but then I worried I was making too much cake. You know how that goes. Mmm, this makes me want cake!

NYT Cookbook by Amanda Hesser
Thanks, Santa!

Bobby Flay's Throwdown! by Bobby Flay
Another gift from Santa---I am really, really excited about this one.

Cakelove by Warren Brown
I've been meaning to make the Mr. Bananalegs Cake for a long time. My fabulous downstairs neighbor has made a few really good cakes from this book. We went through this cake phase together last year but then I think we may have both agreed that having a whole cake around is like having a loaded gun in the house. Regardless, there is some really good stuff going on in this book.

The Cooks Illustrated Book of Pasta and Noodles
I know! It's wedged in there. When I got a pasta machine, I used this to learn how to make pasta. A pasta machine is also like having a loaded gun in the house. See above.

Cheese Primer by Steve Jenkins
A good reference guide---I used it for, like, a day.

Candy Freak by Steve Almond
This is a really fun book about candy. No recipes, though.

The Whole Food Cookbook by Whole Foods Market
The one thing this book has given me is the poblano corn chowder soup that I have built into the winter rotation. If Jaime wants this one, I may send it to her. Lots of vegetarian recipes.

The London Ritz Book of Afternoon Tea
Someone gave this to me with a scone pan for our wedding! Never used it.

The Breville Panini Press by Breville
There are some recipes in here, but normally I've inventive enough to make my own panini magic.

Random Recipe Book That Came With My Kitchenaid
Totally unnecessary.

Roadfood by Jane and Michael Stern
A great read! I consult it whenever I travel. No recipes, though.

Pie by Ken Haedrich
I've made many pies from this book---the lemon blueberry cornmeal is a favorite.

The Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer
This is one of the books that has inspired this project. It should have a much bigger role in my kitchen.

How To Eat Supper by Lynen Rossetto Kasper and Sally Swift
Lynne was an early food hero for me. When we moved in together, I listed to her show on our old NPR station, and I can safely say that Lynne Rossetto Kasper taught me how to cook. My friend Kristin and her wife came to visit us this fall and Kristin was awesome enough to put post-it flags on all the recipes she and Erica love from this book. I am so excited to use it! Expect to see some recipes soon. It's hard to know where to start!

Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever by Diane Phillips
Since the purchase of a long desired for crockpot, I've been using this pretty frequently. I'll be making the fruited chicken tagine from this book soon!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe you did a summary of all your books! Impressive. I will take a photo of my library, but I am not doing that! I have a ton of books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I would totally love that book!

    I also have Nigella's Domestic Goddess book. I love and hate how it reads the same way she speaks. I've made a few things from there. Nothing really "wowed" me. I got it as a gift. Every November I buy a bag of fresh cranberries to make the cranberry upside cake. Every June I throw out the then frozen berries to make room for ice pops.

    ReplyDelete