Sunday, January 16, 2011

Lemon Pancakes


My entire family has been stricken with the dreaded stomach bug; hence, my lack of posting. I was sick on Monday and didn't get my appetite back until Friday.

Anyhow, this morning I woke up starving and decided to make some pancakes. I decided on "from scratch" pancakes so I could post here. I had just planned on making regular ol' pancakes, but then I saw a lemon pancake recipe and decided to give it a go. So glad I did!

These are very delicious! The recommended honey & sweetened sour cream were the perfect touch! (Next time I may add Greek yogurt instead.)

Lemon Pancakes (from The Joy of Cooking)
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sour cream
1/3 c. milk
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp. melted, unsalted butter
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Finely grated lemon zest of 2 lemons

Whisk flour through salt in one bowl. Whisk sour cream through vanilla in a separate bowl. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently whisk, mixing until combined. Fold in lemon zest.

The batter is thick and bubbly. Spoon 1/4 c. batter onto griddle. Cook until the top of each pancake is speckled with bubbles and some bubbles have popped, then turn and cook until the underside is lightly browned. Serve immediately.

Serve with honey and sweetened sour cream.

Abby gives them two thumbs up and declares them, the best pancakes I've ever made.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my GOD! These sound awesome! I will make these next weekend!

    I am so glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so good! I'm thinking about making them again in the morning. :)

    And I'm glad we're all feeling better too!

    ReplyDelete