Sunday, January 2, 2011

Stovetop Macaroni & Cheese


I feel kind of silly posting this recipe. It's completely basic! But, it's a recipe that I never made before in a cookbook that usually sits on or around my kitchen table because I love to read it. The cookbook has journeyed with us from duplex, to apartment, to suburban home, to city rowhome. It's my go-to book. The Joy of Cooking. This is not only a recipe book, but a book to read. I love to read about spices, or measurements, or good food combinations, etc.

Joe & I enjoyed it, Abby didn't care for it much, probably due to the breadcrumbs, or to the fact that she thinks that when I say I'm making macaroni & cheese, she's expecting to see that damn blue box. I served the mac & cheese with stewed tomatoes and altered the recipe quite a bit.

Stovetop Macaroni & Cheese
(my adaptations are in italics)

12 c. water (didn't measure)
1 tbsp. salt (a couple dashes)
8 oz. elbow macaroni (entire bag of egg noodles)
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
12 oz evaporated milk (I had fat-free on hand, so that's what I used)
12 oz. extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (10 oz.)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. dry mustard dissolved in 1 tsp. water (squirt of dijon mustard)
3/4 tsp. salt (skipped)
1/2 tsp. ground red pepper (Joe won't eat anything spicy, so I just dashed in some paprika)

I also added some breadcrumbs on top. I usually don't, but I made homemade rolls last week and turned the leftovers into breadcrumbs and I wanted to use them up.


Boil water and cook pasta until tender (I slightly undercooked because I planned on baking it in oven as well.)

Drain and return to pot. Add butter, stir until well blended. Add evaporated mik, cheese, eggs, mustard, salt and red pepper and stir until smooth.

Set the pot over very low heat and, stirring constantly, bring the mixtgure to a first bubble of a simmer, 5-10 minutes. It should thicken noticeably. This may take several minutes. Increase the heath slightly if the sauce is still soupy after 5 minutes, but watch very carefully. Do not overheat, or sauce will curdle. Serve immediately. (I topped with breadcrumbs and some butter and baked for 15 minutes.)

1 comment: