Saturday, January 1, 2011

Clipping: Chicken Tikka Masala from Saveur

I have a thing for Indian food. Of course, there is no Indian food in the immediate area that I will eat happily. Before the Christmas break, I decided that I wanted to learn how to make some Indian dishes that I love. My friend Emily, probably the coolest person I know, always used to get Saveur magazine, so two years ago I ended up subscribing too, and I love it. However, I've made very few things from it (including a very elaborate Eggs Benedict bruncheon that Emily and I made once for our husbands). In the last issue I read, I spotted a great recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala, which looked amazing. In true Anne style, I clipped it, and it's been untouched on my fridge for weeks. While we were away for the break, we were in Madison, Wisconsin, where I gathered many key ingredients that are not readily available here, and when we returned, I saw the recipe stuck of my fridge and happily realized I had everything to make it. It was perfect for a New Year's Eve that consisted of playing Donkey Kong Country and watching old episodes of House. Here is the recipe from Saveur:

Chicken Tikka Masala
The chicken in this dish is kept separate from the sauce until the end to preserve its succulence.
(NB: I never realized what a difference this makes in the taste!)
1 tbsp. ground turmeric
4 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. red food coloring (optional)
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 2 1⁄2" piece ginger, peeled and chopped,
plus julienned strips for garnish
1 jalapeño, stemmed and chopped
1 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1⁄2" cubes
1⁄4 cup Greek yogurt, such as Fage
Kosher salt, to taste
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tsp. coriander seeds
1⁄2 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tbsp. paprika
2 small yellow onions, finely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Cooked basmati rice, for serving
1. In a blender, purée turmeric, 2 tsp. garam masala, coloring, garlic, ginger, jalapeños, and 1⁄2 cup water. Put paste into a bowl. In the same blender, purée tomatoes and strain through a sieve. In a bowl, mix 2 tbsp. paste, chicken, yogurt, and salt; marinate for 30 minutes. Place oven rack 4" from heating element; heat to broil. Transfer chicken to a foil-lined sheet tray; broil until cooked, 5–6 minutes; set aside.
2. Heat butter in 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add coriander and cumin; toast 4–6 minutes. Add paprika and onions; cook until soft, 6–8 minutes. Add remaining paste; brown for 5–6 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and 1 cup water; boil. Reduce heat; simmer until thickened, 6–8 minutes. Stir in remaining masala and chicken; season with salt. Serve with garnishes and rice.

It was fantastic! The frozen nan I bought from Trader Joe's was so-so, but the dish itself was excellent.

My verdict---
1) It's a keeper!
2) Maybe good to make on a Friday or weekend night. Not good for a long day helping students come up with thesis statements on Huck Finn.
3) Don't do what I did and mix up the half and half with heavy cream. When we reheated it today, I threw in some heavy cream and it was perfect.
4) I was all caught up in going to amazon and hunting for a spice grinder, but at the last minute I realized that I could just use my empty salt grinder.

4 comments:

  1. This looks pretty similar to the chicken curry with gentle spices (or something like that) from How to Eat Supper. That recipe relies just on yogurt-- and lots of it-- for creaminess, instead of heavy cream. Oh, and it calls for chicken thighs, which can stand up to a simmer in the sauce without getting tough. Anyway, I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may try this with fake chicken. I know Joe won't eat it, but Abby may attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KK, I totally checked that recipe out last night! Looks delicious!

    Jaime---You know, I think this could totally be done with veggies---potato, broccoli, etc.

    ReplyDelete